Sunday, January 10, 2010

University Student Rant #1- OSAP

Its time for another rant of sorts. I think i should make this a weekly thing. Ok so hmm where should I start. OSAP!!!! Ok for those of you who dont know the deal with OSAP and me here it is short and sweet. Pretend OSAP is a person. This would be a conversation between me and OSAP:

"apply for me"
"ok"
"Nope. Sorry your parents make too much money even though one works in the auto industry so fill out all there forms if you want to fight for it and list you expenses and why you need me"
"Sure ok. Whats another mountain of paperwork right? Hmm i need to for my $6000 tuition not including residence and I am currently unemployed because i need to be on OSAP to get a job here, oh and did I mention that i need a bari sax for my second year program and that costs me 15 grand?!?!?!"
"Nope. you don't qualify. You don't need the money. Too bad :("
"Fuck you OSAP"
"Have a nice day :) apply next year so I can shut you down again"

So ya OSAP thinks I don't need money. Oh well. I guess I need to find a job somewhere in Hamilton that I can do and balance with my mountains of work. This makes me really angry. I wish OSAP would just ask you why you need the money instead of basing it off of what your parents make becasue I can't pay for all of this as a student on my own. This is crazy and I don't know many students that can pay for all of this.

3 comments:

  1. I still don't understand why/how they penialize (sp?) students for having a job. It's not as if they don't have other expenses to cover...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya me either. I think this whole system is stupid. I kinda wish that they would just sit down and talk with you and ask you why you think you need instead of looking at numbers non a sheet of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OSAP is the kind of person you say "hey, can I borrow some money?" to and they say "yeah sure". And then they take the money back before you can use it.

    ReplyDelete